Part of 12th-century pilgrim chapel for sale

The outline of a chapel window in the building

Part of the 12th-century St Lawrence Chapel on the PW at Upper Halling near the River Medway is for sale.

The chapel dates from just after Thomas Becket’s death and had a chaplain until 1547.

After the Reformation, when Henry VIII banned pilgrimage to Canterbury, the chapel was used by drovers and other travellers for overnight accommodation.

in the 19th century, having been a wheelwright’s, it was converted into housing and is now known as Chapel Houses.

The building is similar in size to St Benedict’s Chapel at nearby Paddlesworth which is also associated with pilgrims but is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust and open daily.

The ‘quirky cottage’ at Upper Halling is being marketed by Mann estate agent whose pictures show an interesting interior.

Should we be crowdfunding to buy it and return part of the ancient chapel to being a pilgrim staging post?

St Lawrence Chapel is now a row of cottages

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.