The Bull at Otford stands in the High Street close to the point where the two PW routes from London and Winchester come together.
The pub was built around 1512 by and for the builders and craftsmen working on the massive rebuild of Archbishop Warham’s Otford Palace. So in a way it has been a pub for a long time.
There are two fine Tudor fireplaces (early and late 15th-century), panelling and a tall oak seat known today as Becket’s Chair. It’s not but serves as a reminder that Thomas Becket spent much time at the old palace.
It’s the custom to sit in the chair and have wish.
Another surprise is that the pub, which is open all day, is part of the Chef & Brewer chain.
This may be why the menu seems confusing with lots of seasonal offerings at different prices.
On quiet weekday lunchtime we had to wait for our fish but when it arrived the dish was freshly cooked and felt filling after a morning outdoors on foot.
The village claims three tea shops but The Bull is a must when on a first lunchtime or evening visit to Otford.